The White Area Historical Society was founded in 1983. The mission of the Society is to collect, preserve and display information, artifacts and memorabilia pertaining to the culture and history of White, South Dakota and the five surrounding townships. Our purpose is to educate and to make research materials available to the public. The Society owns three historical buildings, museum, log cabin and schoolhouse. Responsibility for the maintenance of these buildings is the function of the society.
Current Directors and Officers are
President: Joanne Murphy
Vice President: Barry Meyer
Secretary: Kathy McKinney
Treasurer: Charlotte Mickelson
Members at Large: Paul Grande and Jeff Schulz
Membership Dues are $5.00 per person
Annual Meeting is held on the Second Tuesday of April
For information contact Joanne Murphy 629-6181 and Charlotte Mickelson 870-416-4208
From the sale of the White History Book, the White Historical Society purchased the Methodist Church, which they turned into a Museum.
Afton Township #15 Schoolhouse
The Afton #15 Schoolhouse was donated to the Society by the Cecil and Mildred Thomas family. Located inside are desks, books, pictures and articles from the surrounding rural schools and the White/Deubrook School.
During the 1870’s this Log Cabin was built in Oak Lake Township in Gilley’s Grove. It is made out of oak timber. Many families lived in this cabin and additions were added to it. The cabin was donated to the Society by Dr. Harold Kurtz of St. Paul, Minnesota. The Society moved the cabin to Main Street in White where it stood for several years. In 2007, it was moved to the museum site.
Get yours today!!
$40 while they last.
Contact Joanne Murphy 605-629-6181 and Charlotte Mickelson 870-416-4208 to order or for additional information.